UiODoc Workshop: Strategies and Skills for Leadership in Research
UiODoc would like to invite all PhD candidates and postdocs to a full day interactive workshop on leadership, both in academia and outside. The presenter will be Dr. Kerstin Fritsches from PostdocTraining, who is a specialist in professional development for early career researchers.
Update: this event is now full, the maximum number of participants (plus waiting list) has been reached. No more registrations will be accepted.
We get trained for many years to be good scientists. After a lot of work and experience we find ourselves managing other people but we have not received any training in how to lead and to manage people. What is good leadership? How can we improve communication in science towards all directions? Dr. Kerstin Fritsches will provide an interactive workshop on leadership, collaboration and transferable skills. The workshop will take a full work day, and a light lunch will be provided by UiODoc.
- 09:00 – 09:30 Group introduction and overview of the day
- 09:30 – 10:50 Session 1 – The leadership challenge: leading at any level. Preface: What is good leadership? Exercise theme: ‘My style: how I and others prefer to work’
- 10:50 – 11:10 Morning tea/coffee break.
- 11:10 – 12:30 Session 2 - Communicating as a leader. Preface: Effective communication in the academic context - up, down and sideways. Exercise theme: ‘Adapting your approach to relationships and communication’
- 12:30 – 13:15 Lunch (provided by UiODoc)
- 13:15 – 14:30 Session 3 – Partnerships that set you apart: leading a transformational collaboration. Preface: Setting goals, motivating groups and managing expectations. Exercise theme: ‘What does a transformational collaboration look like?’
- 14:30 – 14:50 Afternoon tea break
- 14:50 – 15:50 Session 4 – Do I have what it takes? Transferrable leadership skills. Preface: What are the core leadership skills you need to excel in any job? Exercise theme: ‘Demonstrating your transferrable skills’.
- 15:50 – 16:00 Summary of the day and closing.
Coffee, tea, soft drinks and other interesting snacks will be available in all the breaks.
Space for this event is very limited. Only 25 places will be offered initially. The registration is binding, so please make sure you can come so that someone else does not miss out. If you have registered and you cannot attend for any reason, please cancel your registration in nettskjemma.
Registration will open at 10:00 on the 10th of March, 2016. Update: event is fully booked, no more registrations accepted.
You can fill up the registration form here:
In connection with this workshop, UiODoc and Kerstin are also offering a shorter, 2.5h afternoon seminar that will be held for a larger group and will have more presentation and less discussion. Different material will be covered there, so you may be interested in attending both events. See our event page for Develop Your Leadership Skills as a Researcher.
About the presenter, Dr. Kerstin Fritsches
Kerstin is a former research fellow in neuroscience whose 12-year research career gave her first-hand experience of the challenges facing early career researchers, and a strong track record in postdoc affairs and career development.
A lack of effective career training for PhDs led Kerstin to found PostdocTraining in 2011, to bridge a gap in professional development by delivering support tailored specifically for early career researchers. PostdocTraining delivers career development support and mentoring for researchers worldwide, and Kerstin has become a sought-after workshop facilitator on topics such as career planning and research leadership in Europe and Australia.